Search

Search My Garden Blog with Google Custom Search

11.1.07

Plant 'vaccines' may combat viruses in crops

New York, New York
January 10, 2007 Plants
might not get colds, but they do get viruses — and viral diseases in crops cause enormous economic damage each year. New research, however, suggests that plant “vaccines,” developed at Rockefeller University, may be a new way of helping fend off viral attackers.

“Plants possess several innate mechanisms to resist viruses,” says Nam-Hai Chua, Andrew W. Mellon Professor and head of the Laboratory of Plant Molecular Biology, “but many viruses are able to overcome these barriers. Transgenic technology offers the possibility to genetically modify plants with genes encoding virus tolerance and/or resistance.” Chua’s research, published in November in Nature Biotechnology, shows that the new method can confer resistance against two turnip viruses.

(continue reading)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. Brown Thumb,

    Thanks for visiting my blog -- sorry there hasn't been much gardening stuff lately even though I have the luxury of gardening year round here in Honduras. I've been kind of pretending it's winter and taking a break. Hope you'll come back again.

    Thanks also for the tip about Feedburner. You were right. I recategorized some articles and that's what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, since I already had that problem and figured it out when I was reading the help forums of feedburner I knew what it had to be and thought I'd pass the info on when I saw it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!

Feel free to leave a comment. You can always use the search box for my blog or the search "Google For Gardeners" if you're looking for gardening information. If you're looking for seed saving information check out "Seed Snatcher"search engine.

Do not have a blog yourself? Comment using the "anonymous" feature. If you have a Twitter or FB account feel free to use the "Name URL" feature so other people can find you.


Thanks for visiting.